Monday, April 2, 2012

Art


These last two weeks, I was really inspired by the artwork we had been reading about. The Alcatraz artwork and the maps were all about remembrance and resistance. I was surprised by how interested I was in the maps. I have said in earlier discussions that poems are not my thing, but art is also not one of my interests. My mother even took me to London and we went to all the famous places and looked at artwork and I was bored out of my mind. Granted, I was 16 at the time and hadn’t really given it another shot since. The artwork this past week has been more about resistance, but I found I could truly appreciate what it was saying. I enjoyed being able to interpret the art in whatever way I wanted. I knew there was a message behind it, but I enjoyed looking at it from several different angles. Yes, some of the art was supposed to be about oppression and negative, but I could also look at it in a positive way. Anyway, I was truly inspired to try painting on my own so I trekked over to Hobby Lobby and bought some canvases and acrylic paint and brushes. I hadn’t painted since probably art class in Middle School, so I was actually kind of nervous because I wasn’t sure how to begin. I suppose that’s the cool thing about art, you can begin wherever you feel like it. So that’s what I did. With no particular idea in mind, I let my mind wander and painted some random abstract cool looking stuff. No specific purpose, unlike the art in our books-but I found it very enjoyable. It really lets you free your mind when you are able to just let the paintbrush do the talking. I think it would be easier for me to paint a picture of a story (not a good one) than to write about it because it allows you to be as abstract as you want-and your intended audience as subjective as they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment