Monday, March 19, 2012

Bald Eagles


I found a recent article about the Arapaho Indians in Wyoming. Apparently they have been granted rights to kill 2 bald eagles for use in their annual sun dance ceremony. Apparently, the BIA banned the use of eagle feather in the 1890’s, but lifted that ban in 1934. Since then, the Indians have been forced to use feathers and eagle parts from a repository. The repository has eagle parts from eagles that have been accidentally killed or found dead. Although I know this is a great victory for the tribe, I am sure most Americans will be disgusted by the killing of eagles. The eagle is a symbol of our nation, and I think many people will be offended that the tribe will be killing the eagles for ceremonial use. I doubt they will care about what the eagle stands for to the tribe-all they will see is “eagles being killed by Indians” and there will be an outcry. This reminds me of the story about the tribe that was granted whaling rights. People were so angry and disgusted by it, even though they had no knowledge of WHY the tribe requested the whaling rights. Our country needs to not be so close minded! 

“For the Northern Arapaho tribe's St. Claire, the bald eagle is a powerful symbol of native pride just as the sun dance is a powerful symbol of native spirituality.”

This quote is interesting to me because like I said before, the eagle is a symbol of our country and brings about a sense of pride. I wonder WHY the eagle was chosen to represent our country. What ties does our country have with the eagle?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/15/us-usa-eagles-tribe-idUSBRE82E03520120315

No comments:

Post a Comment