Sunday, February 26, 2012

Charlie Hill


I was looking up articles about our current stereotypes of Native Americans, and I found one that kept quoting this man (Charlie Hill) saying things that made me laugh. I had never heard of him before so I went on a Google search. I am so glad I did because he is such a funny guy! He has been around as a comedian since the 70’s. The first clip I watched of him was his performance at the Winnipeg Comedy Festival. The clip is not long, but it still had me laughing throughout the whole thing. I wanted to point out two of his jokes that I think really relate to what we have talked about in discussion forums regarding oppression and cultural imperialism.

Marker 2:13-2:26
‘So I’m sitting on the airlines in the middle seat, there’s a redneck on each side of me and I’m thinking, “you may have stole my land and ripped off my culture but you’re not getting these damn arm rests I’m telling you that much”
What is great about this joke is the irony regarding the white man and the Native Americans, yet everyone can relate to this situation on a plane. I am sure everyone has been in this situation, you are stuck on a plane next to someone you don’t know and there is always that awkward moment where you both aren’t sure who gets to use the armrest. The irony is Charlie is saying there may be two white men next to me and they have taken things from my culture and identity, but I am not budging on these arm rests! He is basically saying white people may feel entitled, but he is not letting that happen.
Another great part of the show is when he decided to make a commercial about white men at pow wows and how they want to be Native American. He calls it Generikee. Starts at 4:15 mark
‘Generikee-Say wannabees! Are you tired of being left out in the cold with no native heritage? Unaware of your Indian roots? Or maybe you have no Indian roots. Feel uncomfortable at pow wows? Well soon you will be out there singing and dancing with the rest of us thanks to Generikee yes one spoonful of Generikee and your native roots will start to grow back instantly. You will never feel spiritually inadequate again. Taken as directed, Generikee increases wisdom, restores earthiness and makes you one with the universe without a prescription. So try it today and when someone asks you your tribal affiliation just say Generikee. You may not be able to prove it, but you will know it in your heart. Caution side effects may include suicide, poverty, disease, religious persecution, and general loss of land.’
I think the best part of this is how he jokes about people who try to claim Indian heritage, but at the end he lists the “side effects” which are real life challenges in Native culture. I think many white people would want to claim Native culture if there was something in it for them like money or scholarships. Only if it would improve their life situation. They probably wouldn’t take into account the hardships Native Americans still face, the “side effects.”

1 comment:

  1. I’ve seen this guy and had a good laugh too. I know what he’s talking about and have Sweated with some of these “White” guys he’s talking about. Pow Wows are full of white people because most of America is not 100% Native any more. I don’t know many folks in my tribe who can honestly say they’re 100% Native. I grew up on the Rez but have had the chance to travel the country over the last 15 years. I’ve met many Natives (1/4-Full) who never stepped foot on a Rez or even know what being a “Rez-grown Indian” is all about. Money is the root of all evil; this applies to Natives and any other race, we’re all human. I think it is important to embrace those who are 1/64 Indian or 100% and have everyone keep our traditions alive. We just need to remind everyone that just because they might be 1/200th Native doesn’t mean they should ignore whatever other ancestry they have. They should celebrate and be interested in every part of their background.

    ReplyDelete