Wednesday, February 22, 2012

New Understandings


As we are progressing through the course I am learning more and more about Native American culture. It seems like this class more than ever is helping me understand the hardships and oppression that has become the Native way of life. Just this last weekend I was flipping channels on the television and stopped at the History Channel. All I saw at first was what looked like a battle going on between some old school American soldiers and some Native Americans. The Indians being portrayed were what we would consider stereotypical, but I overlooked that fact because it was the history channel and that depiction was probably accurate for the time frame they were trying to cover. So as I am watching, I learn the show is about Andrew Jackson. I am no history buff, so I did a little more research to learn what was going on. I had no idea he was a general who forced Indians to relocate. Also, I learned the Cherokee Indians who he was pressuring to move were being led by a man who was only part Indian. In appearance, he was a white man. How interesting it must have been, for the Indians to rally around a man who looked white, but for all purposes was Indian. I was disgusted to learn the way the American soldiers were able to determine the Indian death toll. Apparently, they would chop off the ends of the dead Indians noses, so they could be easily counted later on. How barbaric! What a murky past our country has…
So after I was watching the show, I started to think about my lack of knowledge when it comes to America’s history. What I have learned (and retained through the years) always seems to paint our country in a positive light, or as the victim. In school we focused on how terrible Britain’s rule was over us and how noble the men were who helped us gain our freedom. To be honest, except for learning about some of the major battles like the Battle of the Little Bighorn I never learned much about Native Americans in school. Actually I am curious why the Battle of the Little Bighorn is also known as Custer’s Last Stand. Maybe I am interpreting this incorrectly, but by calling it Custer’s, it seems like Custer overshadows the fact that it was a Native American victory. Why isn’t Sitting Bull referenced in the name of the battle? Or one of the other important Native American figures?
Now this next section is not intended to belittle slavery in ANY way, I am just trying to understand. I said before, I was unfamiliar with Andrew Jackson's involvement with Indian affairs. Why is it our country focuses on the Presidents who were anti-slavery? I am grateful we do put such an emphasis on Presidents who were trying to change something that was so awful, but why don’t we learn about any of the Presidents who had involvement with Indians? Is it because all of the involvement has been negative? Slavery was terrible, but what has happened to the Native Americans (and is still happening!) is just as terrible, so why hasn’t it become a bigger deal? Or why, do schools not teach much about people who have stood up for Native American rights? Maybe they do, and I just don’t remember any of it but I am pretty sure when I was younger we spent very little time discussing Native Americans beyond learning about Thanksgiving.
I posted an article on the discussion board about DNA testing and how people are learning they have a more diverse ancestry than before. This has led to some people trying to abuse the system and claim rights as minorities, even though they have lived their lives as white. I thought it was a very interesting article and I posted the link in the discussion but I will post it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment